Gareth Bale s long goodbye to Real Madrid is edging closer after head coach Zinedine Zidane confirmed the club is actively working to sell the Wales international.
A move to either Paris Saint-Germain or the Chinese Super League looks most likely for a player who cut a frustrated figure for the majority of the 2018-19 season.
Bale is poised to be forced out at the behest of Zidane and there are a host of significant players across Europe who have yet to negotiate an exit despite expressing a desire to move on.
Here, we look at the players who are stuck in limbo with the start of the 2019-20 season just weeks away.
— Gareth Bale (@GarethBale11)
Neymar
Neymar has not publicly stated he wants to leave the Ligue …
Manchester United’s match at Galatasaray is set to go ahead after bad weather throughout the day in Istanbul had put the Champions League clash in doubt.
Relentless rain has been falling in the Turkish city throughout the day and there are concerns over the state of the pitch at Rams Park.
A statement from UEFA said: “We are closely monitoring the weather forecast and at this time the match will go ahead as scheduled.”
Nice night for it ||
— Manchester United (@ManUtd)
United and Galatasaray arrived as planned, beginning their warm-ups as scheduled.
Erik ten Hag’s men go into the match bottom of Group A having lost three of their four games so far in this season’s competition, and without a win away to Galatasaray in their l…
Bayern Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge expects winger Arjen Robben to re-sign with the Bundesliga champions.
Robben, 32, is yet to extend his deal with the club despite his contract expiring at the end of the season.
But Rummenigge said: I think everything will be clear in January.
We are very optimistic. Both sides want it. These are good pre-conditions.
The Netherlands international has scored five goals in 10 league games this season and started Wednesday s 3-0 win over RB Leipzig.
Robben has been at Bayern since 2009 after joining from Real Madrid.
…
Ilkay Gundogan says he hopes to stay at Barcelona for many more years and wants to win titles with the Catalan giants.
The 33-year-old moved to the club in the summer after seven years at Manchester City – where he signed off by winning the Champions League.
Gundogan has played 19 times in all competitions so far this season for Xavi’s side, scoring once, and says he is starting to find his feet at the club.
“I am getting more and more used to it,” Gundogan told Barca TV.
İlkay Gündoğan: Very happy and looking forward to many more years here.
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona)
“The start of course is always a bit difficult. You come from a different country, a different league, you don’t know many people. So there are things…
Luis Enrique acknowledged Spain have many things to improve on after La Roja were fortunate to draw against the Czech Republic.
Gavi, aged 17 years and 304 days, became the youngest ever player to score for Spain as he curled in to cancel out Jakub Pesek s fourth-minute opener in Prague.
The Barcelona midfielder s strike also meant Spain have scored in 16 straight games in all competitions, only twice achieving such longer streaks in history.
Jan Kutcha then again edged Czech Republic ahead in the Nations League encounter as he chipped over the onrushing Unai Simon in the second half.
But there was to be late drama as Inigo Martinez s 90th-minute header snatched a point for Spain, who sit two points behind Group A2 joint-leaders Czech Republic and Port…
Philippe Coutinho deserved his club-record move to Barcelona, according to former Blaugrana winger Luis Figo.
Coutinho s transfer from Liverpool to Barca was completed on January 6, with LaLiga s leaders reportedly paying an initial £106million that could rise to £142m for the Brazil forward s services.
Figo was at Inter when they agreed to sign Coutinho in 2008, though he was loaned back to Vasco da Gama and never played with the Portugal legend at San Siro.
And Figo, who controversially left Barca for Real Madrid in 2000, is pleased the 25-year-old has sealed his dream move to Camp Nou.
Figo, speaking at the Abu Dhabi Invitational 2018, Yas Links Golf Club, Abu Dhabi, told Omnisport: Football has changed so much, the amounts change so much.
I…
Jose Mourinho claims he was the first choice and only option to take over as Portugal head coach but rejected the job as he is committed to Roma.
Roberto Martinez was this week appointed as successor to Fernando Santos, whose tenure as Portugal boss came to an end after a shock World Cup quarter-final defeat to Morocco last month.
Spaniard Martinez took over not long after leaving his role as head coach of Belgium following their failure to advance from the group stage in Qatar.
Mourinho, who was tipped to return to his homeland and take charge of the national team before Martinez was appointed, revealed Portuguese Football Federation president Fernando Gomes made it clear he was the man he wanted to replace Santos.
DYBALAAAAAAAAAAAA!
— AS Roma…
´We want Frenkie? I didn´t know!´ – Ten Hag relaxed over De Jong pursuit, adamant Man Utd will not p
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag would rather develop the players he has than sign the wrong man if the club fail in their pursuit of Frenkie de Jong.
United have been strongly linked with Barcelona midfielder De Jong for months, with reports of their interest emerging even before Ten Hag was officially appointed in April.
De Jong enjoyed his Ajax breakthrough under Ten Hag, playing a key role in the team that almost reached the 2018-19 Champions League final.
He moved to Barca in 2019 but arguably has not reached the level many expected of him initially upon his transfer to Camp Nou.
Ten Hag apparently saw De Jong s acquisition as vital for the way he wants United to play, and media reports have indicated the club agreed a fee with Barca last mont…
Sergio Aguero is relieved Manchester City were spared the drama of their 2011-12 title triumph in clinching the Premier League crown.
After City moved to the brink of glory with a 3-1 defeat of Tottenham at Wembley on Saturday, a shock 1-0 win for bottom side West Brom at Old Trafford meant rivals Manchester United could no longer catch Pep Guardiola s side.
EFL Cup winners City are crowned Premier League champions for the third time, with five games remaining and various records within their grasp.
But Aguero, scorer of the famous late goal against QPR that secured the trophy six years ago, is glad City have wrapped the league up with plenty of time to spare on this occasion.
This is my third title with City and it s just a relief not to have to wai…
In North London on Sunday, Tottenham Hotspur prevented Manchester City from taking advantage of Arsenal s defeat to Everton the previous day to close the gap at the top of the Premier League table, courtesy of a record-breaking goal from Harry Kane in the 15th minute, while strengthening their own position in the race for top-four placement.
The amazing Kane
It was goal No. 267 for the England captain in a Spurs shirt, making him the club s top scorer ever in all competitions, as well as the player to have reached 200 Premier League goals in fewest matches in the history of the English top flight. Head coach Antonio Conte, who was unable to take charge of the team for this game as he recovers from gallbladder surgery, after the match to congratulate him on this historic momen…